Sunday 21 April 2013

Out of Town: Naughty & Nice, Bakewell

Ok, I know, it's supposed to be The Great Sheffield Coffee Hunt, but I hope you'll forgive this slight indulgence because this place is worth a mention, and anybody who's anybody in Sheffield must visit Bakewell from time to time.  Plus the fact that I defaced their chalk-board in the bathroom to plug this blog and a promise of a positive review..... A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do...

We had been here once before, but had sort of forgotten that it was this particular venue, though on that occasion we definitely enjoyed our meal and coffee.  The reason for the visit today was a motorbike ride out into the Peaks with the promise of a nice brunch the other side for a friend of ours.

The weather was fair, but a bit too chilly for us to sit in the courtyard (after a windy ride out), so we went upstairs into the lounge.  As we arrived, there was a large party using all of the 'normal' height tables, so we just sat on the sofas to start with, the idea at this point being to grab a coffee and maybe move on for food.  Maybe we're getting old, but I just find it incredibly awkward to eat on sofas with low tables.  A vanilla latte for our friend, a caramel latte for me, and a double espresso for Nicky.  We're so predictable that way.  All went down very easily, and very enjoyable they were too.

I began browsing their food menu, and was extremely tempted by their pancakes (creature of habit), as I'd missed my favourite treat this weekend.  Other things caught my eye, too, with the time approaching 12pm; jacket potatoes (yey! Gluten free options), soup, and some very nice sounding sandwiches.  The large party departed, the tables were cleaned down, and I persuaded my companions to stay for lunch as well.  The perspexy chairs were really comfortable, and something we'll consider for our next house, I think...

They opted for their special ciabatta (brie, bacon and caramelised onion chutney), and advertising of gluten free options in their menu caught my eye.  I was informed that they had loads of gluten free bread, so I was sold.  A tuna melt with sweet chilli sauce on gluten free brown bread was swiftly ordered, and after a short time the waitress even came back to ask if I was coeliac because their salad dressing contained gluten.  This really impressed me, even as 'only' a gluten/wheat intolerant type, so I can heartily recommend Naughty & Nice for not only their consideration and vast menu choices, but also for actually knowing all of the ingredients that they use and understanding the needs of sufferers of coeliac disease.

We had another round of drinks, which again disappeared very quickly, and sat and chatted for quite some time.  Some more bikers arrived, the beauty of Bakewell I suppose, and that reinforced that we had found somewhere that was welcoming for all.

I only wish I had enough room for dessert, as the massive range of cake (including gluten free), meringue, chocolate and ice cream sundaes was extremely tempting.  Maybe next time for the Hot Chocolate Soup...  definitely our first stop next time we're in Bakewell...




No comments:

Post a Comment